WHAT’S NEW IN WAGONFLOW 4?
I’ve got version 3.3 – why should I want to upgrade?
It’s a fair question! The final DOS version of Wagonflow, version 3.3, is actually quite versatile, and it’s a constant surprise that it still looks good. But it’s text-only, and has always been hampered by DOS’s limits on accessible RAM. DOS also had programming constraints, making it more and more difficult for Wagonflow to develop. A transfer to Windows was inevitable to get away from these limitations, and also to follow the expectations of most modern computer users. Finally, the DOS version won’t run under Windows 7 or above.
These are the features new to Wagonflow 4:
- It’s now Windows-based, allowing a more attractive, graphical and flexible presentation.
- You can now have up to 15 stations, each with up to 20 sidings identified.
- You can have up to 6 different sets of hidden sidings (useful for through stations getting traffic from both ends).
- Wagonflow 4 has added more control to Block Train movements, allowing triangular routes, for example, and it can now direct trains to hidden storage loops.
- There is now more variety in presenting traffic movements. For example, you can sort imported and exported traffic by wagon number, station, or firm of origin or destination.
- Traffic demands that cannot be met immediately can now be automatically carried over to the next incoming train as late traffic.
- If you’re proud of your locomotive fleet, you can now display your Locomotive Allocation, and there’s room for operational status or the duties assigned. You can also insert visiting locomotives for joint running, then restore your normal list in moments.
- There’s a similar display available for your Carriage Stock, again with room to add notes about status or assigned duties.
- The third new display is a list of your clients (Firms) in each station – a useful reminder to yourself and to guest operators as to which siding is which. If you wish, Wagonflow 4 also allows you to add a track plan of your principal station to this screen.
- Much larger files are now allowed for wagons and timetables, you can have more special wagons, and there is much easier file editing, too.
- Finally, if your layout follows a non-UK prototype, you can create and load your own file of vehicle types – US, European, African, Antipodean, Asian (even Chinese if you describe them in Roman lettering!).
And if you’re still not convinced, take another look at those screen shots in the Wagonflow 4 Tour. Isn’t that a much more attractive way to run your railway?